Sunday, July 29, 2012

Happy birthday! Pretend someone is interested in you

This past Friday I celebrated my 32.2 birthday. You see I don't have to age another year this year because the seasons are so opposite from what I am used to, that I figure, same goes for aging! I wasn't sure how I was going to feel on this birthday. I'm 5000 miles away from so many of the people that I love and cherish, and yet I am here making new friends and experiences and so many adventures. Well I did okay, only 3 times did I let tears fall. People near and people far made me feel so loved, that the tears that were shed were because of an overwhelming emotion of gratitude. But as with every birthday, I reflected over the past year. The changes I have made, the dreams I have had and the blessings for which I am thankful. And then I also remembered, well, there goes another year single. And I am picky, I know, the older I get, the pickier I seem to get which means I have made this lifestyle for myself. And there are really only two days out of the year where it is alarmingly obvious that I am single, on my birthday and on New Year's eve. I'd almost rather spend NYE by myself than with a room full of friends who all happen to be couples because when that clock strikes midnight, I feel like that girl who didn't get asked to dance the last dance in middle school, awkward. I become aware of the situation, I don't get upset about it, I just find it all very obvious, if only to me.

Then…there are those select people who won't let it go. The ones who think the only thing they can socially talk to you about is your dating life. The ones who can turn a conversation so awkward that everyone needs an escape. And that is one of my colleagues. On my birthday one of my best friends had a gorgeous bouquet of flowers delivered to me. Flowers are my favorite gift, they brighten a day, a room, and any attitude. I loved that my dear friend sent them to me. She knows me so well, she knew that would be something I would cherish. So I had them sitting on my desk, basking in the glory of the fact that they were mine, from my friend, I am loved. Then in walks "Sheri", who I find to be one of the more annoying people I have ever not had the pleasure of knowing. First thing out of her mouth "oooh, are those from a guy?". I responded with a big grin on my face and said "no, they are from my good girlfriend". She gave me a look of not just pity, but I swear her eyes filled up with tears. She responds with "oh, I thought they may have been from a man. I'm sorry they are not". I told her I wasn't sorry and I wanted so badly for her to just stop talking. But she's one of those that doesn't stop, even with a mouth full of food while also swallowing her foot, she still goes on. "Don't tell people they are from her, tell them they are from a guy so they think you have someone". Holy shit! Are you serious? I had to tell someone, on my birthday, that I was okay with being single. When I wanted to both punch her in the face and crawl into a hole. 5000 miles away from my social comfort zone where I could make fun of her and her comment until the end of the day was the most difficult part of that entire exchange.

So with 32.1, I did not fall in love, but I did accept a proposal to change my life and move to South America. Now with 32.2, who knows what this year will bring. But it started off with love from friends and family, flowers, tears, reflection and most importantly, laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment