Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Peril of not Being a Plural

I'm sitting on my couch full on Chinese Food and muscle relaxers with a cold pack on my neck...This is the peril of NOT being A plural.  A few weeks ago I had the urge to purchase myself a new headboard and footboard for my bed.  So I went to my favorite website www.overstock.com and purchased it!  I bragged for a week that this new purchase was 5% off the regular price and I only paid $1 for the delivery of the 67 & 32 lbs boxes the bed was coming in.  I had not taken into consideration the fact this bed wouldn't come to my door already put together.  I came home on a Friday night to find these awkwardly shaped boxes leaning up against my front door.  I was so excited!!  Then I decided it was a wise decision for me to finagle these boxes upstairs...by myself.  I straddled, I pushed with my feet, I lifted with my knees, I rested them on my legs, I tried to even balance them on my head like those women in Africa who carry the buckets of water on their heads.  Finally, not on my head, but I was able to get the boxes upstairs.  Because I live alone, I have the pleasure of leaving things until I want to get them done.  The issue is sometimes I'd rather get things done before anyone has a chance to help, even if they offered I would probably say no...because I am an idiot.  Well when I opened these boxes and discovered a 4, count them FOUR page front and back instruction manual I was...concerned.  However, I channeled my dad and all he has taught me about home improvement and reading instructions thoroughly.  I was able to put it together, all by myself.  It only took me two and a half hours, but I actually finished it.  

Now here comes the bad part.  Putting a bed together where a bed once stood means there is lifting and shifting and moving that has to occur.  A girl with a back issue should really refrain from this type of activity.  Well here I am two weeks later with lower back pain, keeping me from my beloved Bikram Yoga and now I have a crick so painful in my neck I can't actually move my head to the left or back, hence my current use of muscle relaxers.

My current peril of not being a part of an "us" has actually crippled me.  Who would have thought that being single would send a person into back spasms and neck cricks.  I think I need to add to what I am looking for in my eharmony profile "A Good HandyMan and good at killing bugs" because let's face it, I need someone willing to hang a picture and kill a spider all at the same time.

Here are some pictures:




The Pieces 


The 4 page instruction manual


Lifting, Shifting and Moving


Channeling Dad's Words of Home Improvement


Finished Product!
My trusty helper...

No comments:

Post a Comment