Friday, March 5, 2010

A Project

I've got a project. I didn't know it was going to be a project until my sister and I were texting Wednesday night and she sent me a text that said "Say buh bye to him" and I found myself saying with emphasis, "I'm not ready to sign him off.  I think there is more to his story" and she said "Oh great...cheapy is ur lil project" and then I realized...he is!

Let's call him Cheapy Auditor Missionary Man.  He's shy, real shy, he has long pauses on the phone that would even make my mother uncomfortable (trust me when I tell you, she is the queen of "I'm disappointed in you silences"...so this is huge).  Well, remember back when I said I was going out with him a few weeks ago?  Well, he invited me to meet for a cup coffee...ahem, he only drinks a few times a year...When I got to Starbucks he was waiting.  I ordered a cup of tea, he ordered some sort of white hot chocolate (oh what those non-drinkers can come up with these days is amazing) and when the barista said not once, but twice "That'll be five dollars and forty cents" - I pulled out my cash (shocked by the fact I even had cash) paid for our beverages and Cheapy Auditor Missionary Man didn't flinch for his wallet, I knew this date would be interesting.

Well I did have a pleasant conversation with him.  But after an hour and a half of sipping some sort of terrible Chamomile Green Tea...blegh...I decided to excuse myself.  I said I needed to go to the grocery store.  I realize this is a terrible way to get out of a date, but I honestly needed food at my house.  When he responded with "Good thing grocery stores stay open until midnight" I was thinking to myself "Oh CRAP, he's stalling me leaving", but actually, mine closes at 9 and it was quickly approaching 8:00, so I had to find my way out.  He struggled with a few more questions about I actually don't even remember, I was concentrating so hard on what I needed from the store...wine was definitely at the top of the list.  So I finally excused myself and ended the date that left me short $5.40, but since I didn't think to myself "I'll never get that hour and a half back" and thought he was kind, I decided if he was interested, I would go out with him again.  This would be my project: I was going to bring him out of his shell.

He has called twice now.  The conversations have been awkward, so much struggle and each time he asked me what I had planned for the week.  Well, I'm a girl about town and I have plans sometimes.  He has still yet to ask me out again, so I'm not sure where this is leading to next, but I'm not asking him on a date.  I've already covered the coffee and carried much of the conversation, so I'm making my project to get Cheapy Auditor Missionary Man to come into his own and ask a girl on a date, in person...err, Over the phone.  Shoot, at this point, just to help him with baby steps, I may even say yes to a text!

I'll keep you posted.  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment