Friday, June 11, 2010

Flashbacks

Today I had a flashback to college and a come to Jesus at just how stupid I was then too.  Thankfully I didn't have to have that come to Jesus during those 4.75 years at the University of Texas, because I was lucky...too lucky!

I was reminded of a time I met a guy in a bar...dun.dun.dunnnn.  And we hit it off. I remember he and I going on hikes or maybe one, I remember showing him around Austin, as he was new to the area from Mississippi.  I remember going to have some form of chili at his apartment, first time I had ever seen an efficiency and a bed that dubbed as a couch/table/dresser/closet.  And yet, this boy who I knew nothing about nor really any part of his story, I let him right on into my life.  Eventually I believe I got a little too happy via the phone one day and shortly thereafter I got stood up for the first time (eh-hem, not the last).  Now when I look back on that time and think of the pure stupidity of me showing this stranger, albeit very good looking, hippyish stranger around Austin, via the car or on foot in the woods, I think "man someone really should have slapped me".  Hey friends...YOUR FAULT! :)   If I remember correctly, I was illegally hanging out in said bar and he was most certainly there with his very own REAL ID.  I was too young and literally...too stupid!  REALLY??  I sometimes get a flashback of this fellow who's name I cannot forget and it just astonishes me.  

One time, and I swear this is true, about 2 years after never hearing from him again, I was living in a new place and had a new phone number by 2 or 3 times since knowing him and my phone rings one afternoon.  This guy asks for me by name tells me his name is Blake and I respond with "I don't know a Blake"...memory laps of ever knowing a Blake possibly due to the introduction of white wine into my repertoire.  Then he says to me "we met in the bar the other night, you gave me your number". I remember thinking to myself, "oh god, I gave my number out and I don't remember?"  My response was "What bar?" Seriously?  Did I really think I forgot I gave my number out to some stranger?  Well after some goings back and forth regarding this fellow Blake and asking for me by name, by complete coincidence, he met a girl who said her name was Hadley and gave him my phone number and by happenstance, it was the same boy who I had hiked in the woods with, ate chili with out of a pot and who stood me up on a date never to be heard from again.  I am quite certain it was one of my nearest and dearest friends who liked to give my number out to strangers, but what were the chances it would have been someone I already knew and had a romantic encounter with?  Ummmm...pretty good since A. it happened and 2. I didn't actually NOT date a lot in college.  :)  I quickly dismissed him and now we really have not talked again.  The Irony!

I am going to start adding to these flashback sessions of the blog just so you can see how I have changed and grown as a person...or you can judge the similarities between my college self and my 30self...soon to be 31..Yowsas!

Happy Friday Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment