Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I'm doing my housekeeper's job

So about a year ago I decided I wanted to invest in a little help at home. I'm not the tidiest of people and I thought a $50 every other week investment in getting someone to help me out would be a good idea. Now, every other Tuesday I do come home to a clean house, it smells nice and looks completely wiped down.  However, there have been quite a few Tuesdays when I have come home to something unexpected as well.  I thought I would share with you a few of the things that I have stumbled upon since making this investment:

One day I discovered a breaker had gone out in my downstairs bathroom / laundry room after she was at my house.  I made this discovery on Thursday when I was looking for something to wear that I swear had to have been washed.  It was. It had been sitting in my washer since Tuesday.  Wash reload and switch of the breaker later, the mildew smell was almost out.  Why didn't I find this until Thursday? You might be asking.  Well, I hadn't been inclined to turn on the lights in the laundry room or bathroom until then.  And my housekeeper didn't think it was necessary to let me know.

One day I was getting upset at how much weight I was gaining. I hadn't actually weighed myself, but clearly, my clothes were fitting tighter and tighter.  I had to ask her not to come one week and so I was changing my sheets and washed them on the Tuesday she was supposed to come, not having done this in a while, since she is the one who does it, I hadn't noticed that my fitted sheet no longer "fitted" anymore.  I went downstairs at that point, while wearing my once long t-shirt what was now a mid-drift baring beauty and sweatpants that were giving my booty a nice squeeze and because they were now so short and revealing my ankle socks were completely worn to shreds, I found that my washer was on warm/warm and my dryer was on high heat.  Lord almighty, weight gain was not the issue, my housekeeper was making me squeeze into my clothes and my bed squeeze into the sheets because she prefers warmer climates in my laundry room.  I have started taping notes on the washer and dryer that read (cold/cold only and low tumble dry only) and sometimes she removes them because they get in her way when she turns the dial to warm/warm and high heat. So I have to repeat process about once a month. I guess I will continue to fight for my wardrobe for as long as I have this help.

One day I came home thinking there was no issue when she was there, until I got a phone call later that evening from her daughter.  She called with this message "Hadley, my mom is really sorry for breaking the knob off your washing machine."  WHAT?  Yes, so my 1997 washing machine that runs quite nicely, has to be turned on with needle nose pliers because she plum ripped off the knob which turns it on.  I now have to do my laundry before she arrives to ensure it gets done, not shrunk and not broken!  I actually am paying to learn to be responsible for my own clothing.  There's a lesson.

The final thing I find every time I come home is what of mine she has eaten.  Now keep in mind, I'm single and don't cook often.  So I rarely have food of serious edible quality during the week, but typically I can find something which she has found.  Usually it is my last apple or, and this I love, it is some canned food I have, I don't know if it is cooked, but I do know it is spiced up to perfection because I always find my spices in different places from basil and oregano to garlic salt and lemon pepper.  I feel bad sometimes I don't keep her fed well, but clearly the woman thinks I shouldn't eat much either since she keeps trying to shrink my clothes!

She came to my house early today which I wasn't expecting and I'm not allowed to be home when she works, but it is my favorite to stumble in on her a little early and find her barefoot and singing at the top of her lungs whatever random radio station she has found on my guest room radio.  Sometimes she leaves it on and I get to do a little dancing myself when I get home.  So I think it is good I have help to wipe things down and get things in order, but I'm not sure if I can keep risking my self esteem on shrunken clothes and tiny bedsheets. I am about to offer them up to my sister for crib sheets...they were once for a queen.

So I'm near to going home to see what is of my house, I will be thankful I can afford the $100 a month for some help and be hopeful that it won't cost me a new appliance in the mean time!  To the wonderful laughing woman who keeps me tidy and consistently self conscious, thank you for giving me surprises, wanted or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment