Tuesday, June 29, 2010

27

It has been a while since I last posted, but a lot has happened!  Let's see, I went back to Italy, and can wholeheartedly admit that I 100% chose my job over my personal life while I was there.  Now do I regret this choice? Not really, do I wish I had made some alterations with this choice, absolutely!  My dear Italian Stallion from a few months back and I did reconnect, unfortunately it was only via text message and a few phone conversations.  Plus the 25 times he called when I didn't answer in a matter of 3 days.  How messed up am I in the relationship / dating department? I was annoyed this precious man kept calling. ANNOYED????  I'm not sure our paths will ever cross again, but his sweet message he left on my voice mail ending in "Big Kiss mmmhua" will be saved for many, many a long time.

Now why did I title this blog 27?  Well for some uncanny reason eharm, we are on a nickname basis at this point, has been matching me up with a bunch of 27 year old guys.  Now I'm just spitting distance from *gasp* 31, so 27 isn't that far away. Of course I am still doing at 30 what I was doing at 27, filling out eharm questionnaires...GASP!  But this number I realized is significant.  Most recently I have had the honor to accept the invitation to be in my 15th and 16th wedding as a bridesmaid.  Have you seen the movie 27 dresses? It actually looks a bit closer to reality.  I am honored the ladies consider me close enough to stand next to them on what will be the most important day of their lives.  They seem to trust that I will not make an ass of myself while standing there wishing them well and repeating with the congregation "We will" when the person who officiates asks if we will support them.  They are confident I will not object when the officiant asks if anyone who objects will speak now or forever hold their peace.  They are sure I will smile at them when they announce their "I Do"'s and clap when they are presented as Mr. and Mrs. Last name.

They have all attended weddings with me as a guest or a bridesmaid, there is no difference and no change in my behavior.  At the rehearsal dinner I will come up with a clever, methodically funny, and a little bit touching speech which will include the time we met, our laughter at one-anothers' expense, for some reason a failing relationship they watched me go through and of course when their beloved became a part of our inner circle. But what they also know, without an iota of a chance for change, that I will, without a doubt, be the first person to break a sweat on the dance floor. I don't mean a bead on my forehead, I mean, napkins shoved down my cleavage, rubber band stolen from the bartender's tip-wad for my beautifully blond coiffed hair turned blackened wet mess on top of my head.  I wait for my invitation from the band (if there is a band) to get on stage and regale for all the wedding guests my best version of the Hammer in my 4 inch heels.  I will continue to stay up there and eat up the lime light until bride or groom would like to take it from me.  There is no difference from wedding to wedding when it comes to my behavior.  But rest assured, I am the guest who does not break the alcohol bill on the wedding night because I cannot perform these moves drunk, I actually act this way with stone cold soberness. 

I am honored to play bridesmaid and to stand next to my friends, my dear friends and their partners. I promise to stand next to them in their life together as friend and confidant. I pledge my loyalty, I will say "I do" when asked to honor them and walk with them.  And I swear, by the blond highlights in my hair, I will out perform myself from the last wedding we attended together and I will with your blessing, do both the hammer and the typewriter to confirm my good time and your laughter on your wedding day!  To brides past, current and future, thank you for believing in our friendship, but more importantly, thank you for accepting my moves!

No comments:

Post a Comment