Thursday, July 29, 2010

30 Years Down

So I have officially crossed the threshold into my "early 30s" by turning 31 on Tuesday.  I feel not one bit different from Monday when I was 30.  However, I did take some time to reflect over the past year on the last day of 30 and I did figure some interesting things out about myself that I would like to share with you.

On Sunday as I was recovering from a 4:30 AM stroll through my front door from a night out and by stroll I mean stumble, and I thought about what I needed to do that day. I needed to eat for one and then I proceeded to lay on my couch for the majority of the entire Sunday.  I made three trips out of the house, 2 for food and well actually the other was for food as well, but it was for the dog.  I spent the last Sunday of my 30th year watching reruns of 90210 and Gilmore Girls.  I empathized when Kelly and Dylan were convincing Steve to cover for them when they did nothing wrong and I teared up a little when Christopher proposed to Lorelai in Paris.  Seriously...I spent my Sunday in the dark watching terrible television...BUT I LOVED IT!!  See there are these days we sometimes need watching mindless television, eating foods meant originally for a 9 year old but still so tasty at 30 and by turning off the phone. Yes, that's right, turning off the blackberry can actually be liberating.  Of course, only turning it off for a few hours, turning it back on to check it and then immediately turning it back off again.

This is what I consider my secret single fun!  This is what the couples don't get, this time alone to do what they did when they were single and glad nobody is around to watch.  Wear a face mask, make a PB&J and eat ice cream out of the tub (no need to waste a bowl).  So to those of you who have your own secret single meals or secret single habits, more power to you for finding the time and the nook to still have them.  Whether you are 16 or 31 or 61, we all need to recognize the moments that may be neurotic to others are without a doubt, what gives us humility and humanity.  I'll be damned if you aren't going to take some time this Sunday to do what you love to do alone, be it, eat popcorn standing up or practice doing the fist pump while watching reruns of the Jersey Shore!  Live up to your single behavior, wear it proudly!   

I have spent the better part of the last 3 years getting to a place that I am content and happy with my life and 3 years in the making, I still consider myself a work in progress, but it is a happy work for sure.  I turned 31 and am thrilled about what lies ahead of me this year.  I started it without eharmony, a bitter sweet ending.  Perfect timing for it to end just as I turn 31, but not until it switched my age over to 31 on the site, one last surviving dig eharm, not cool.  I had a good run, but looking forward to a break from the online dating scene and discovering what other parts of my life are humorous, and I'm quite certain the hilarious people I surround myself with and who plan to celebrate with me tomorrow night will be able to fill this blog with great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment