Friday, April 9, 2010

The 48 Minute Date

I know it has been a while since my last post, I have actually been surprisingly busy lately!  But I thought it was time to reach out again.  Last night I went on one of the best dates I have been on in oh, I'd say years.  We laughed a lot, enjoyed wine, ate a good meal and to top it off this boy comes from Georgia.  For those that know me well, I have a special place in my heart for Georgia boys.  Well during the date past relationships came up in conversation.  Let me go ahead and let you know, I hate this topic wholeheartedly.  I think we spend too much time dwelling on someone else's past relationships to not give us some sort of worry about where our relationship may go, if there is to be a relationship.  Not to mention, I also hate this topic because my past relationship history is on the border of pathetic and barely there.  He asked me the following question when I tried to skirt around it "Are you picky?"  well, I have been thinking about that a lot.  Am I picky?  Maybe.  I want someone who makes me laugh, who I am attracted to and who, for goodness sakes, adores my family, my friends and of course, My dog!  I once had a friend tell me "You are really picky, maybe you should start getting interested in guys that are heavier".  I really have no idea why this would be a solution to my dating issues, weight isn't an issue.  Well except they can't be skinnier than me and I would prefer if we travel together them to not have to purchase two seats.  I'm frugal.  But either way.  Am I picky?

For a while there if anyone bought me dinner I thought a relationship would be in our future.  I was in a sad place in my life and attention is what I craved.  So I started thinking about the turning point in my dating life with this question and realized that was my 48 minute date.  Some good friends had met this guy through another of their friends and thought (like they all do) "he's single, she's single...I believe this is a match"  Shoot, no fault to them, I thought the same thing at that point in my life.  So I should have seen some warning signs when the first time he called I answered and he said "Whoa, I can't believe you answered when you didn't know who was calling. That's like so weird, I would never do that" and my response was "Oh, I was hoping you may be calling to offer me a job".  What?  Anyway, we decide on a dinner date and he offered to pick me up.  I hate driving so I accepted.  He picked me up and off we went to one of the nicer restaurants in Houston, Catalon.  We sat at a table, right next to the door, I mean, I felt a breeze every time the door opened.  The waiter barely let us get a sentence finished before he kept interrupting to take our order, give us our order, give us the desert menu, give us the check and leave.  I have a sneaking suspicion, this was planned.  When the waiter brought us the desert menu and my date said to me "Oh, these look so good, but I can't eat them. I'm trying to watch what I eat" (and gave me a look of pure disgust) to follow and not to mention he was skinnier than me.  I hate that, I should have ordered a big fat piece of chocolate cake at that point and eaten it without hands, but I was feeling low in the self-esteem department and this clearly didn't help.  So he paid the bill and took me home.  I got out of the car at the end of my driveway and I can say with certainty, he did not come to a complete stop.  

48 minutes you may think to yourself isn't terrible.  However, 48 minutes included picking me up, ordering food, insulting me with weight talk and dropping me off without stopping the car.  That is a record.

It is dates like these that help you realize dates like I had last night are actually good ones.  To all of you out there who have been on a 48 minute date, gotten dropped off without putting the car in park and/or wanted to stuff your face in chocolate cake and wine at the end of it...rest assured there is someone out there who will straight up enjoy their time with you...either that or be one helluva actor and Shoot...who can complain about that??

Happy Friday!

1 comment: