Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Point Taken

I had the pleasure of going to my college girlfriend's reunion this past weekend and it was amazing!  2.5 nights and 3.5 days with 7 of my nearest and dearest.  We sat around and caught up on each others' lives.  We dished about what we hadn't heard and promised to not let another few years go by before our next reunion.

We spent a lovely amount of time relishing in each others' humility from college.  Statements such as "I DID NOT" and "WE HAVE PROOF" were mentioned a few times.  Statements like "I can't believe you forgot that" followed by "I can't believe you remembered that".  We laughed until our stomachs hurt and ate until our stomachs hurt and drank until well....our stomachs hurt.

This was a weekend of gathering new information and relaying the old.  Yup, nobody was spared- the spinsters, the wives & the mothers were reminded of the days of shot gunning beers & picking up strangers on the streets of New Orleans, Destin, Cabo, New York, DC, Austin, Hawaii and Vegas, I believe that covered the gamut of our travels in college and random love interests.

On the first night out at this beautiful hill country ranch we went to bed around 1AM on Friday night and were ready for a beautiful day exploring the bright lights of Fredericksburg, Texas on Saturday, bright eyed and bushy tailed.   How could we have waited all these years to get together for a fun weekend away and gone to bed early?  Well, when 5:00 AM rolled around, while in a hot tub on the side of a hill and all the problems of the world had been solved on Saturday night - we had made up for lost time.  

When Sunday came around and I personally looked like I'd been rode hard and put up wet (it's a Texas phrase, don't get dirty on me) and I made myself get sick so I could make the 4 hour drive home, I was thinking, "man, I'm too old for this".  When I went to bed at 5PM on Sunday and struggled to get out of bed on Monday I thought, "geez, I'm too old for this".  When Tuesday rolled around and I slept through my alarm I thought, "goodness, I'm too old for this".  When Wednesday rolled around and I over snoozed my alarm I thought "Dear God, POINT TAKEN".  There is a reason we wait a year or more in between reunions with college friends.  

My college friends will be there for the rest of my life, but when we get together, no matter the strides, the weddings, the careers or the number of the babies...we can't forget we all did our first keg stands together, we endured road trips, broken down cars, broken down hearts, fraternity parties, bad clothes, worse decisions and we would always wear our "bad idea jeans" together.  We all think "if we did it before, we can do it again".  No keg stands this weekend, our backs are too weak now to do them, but 15 bottles of wine, 2 cases of beer and a set of margaritas split between 7 girls (preggers wasn't drinking)...we learned something.  We have more sophisticated pallets, we can hold our liquor better than when we were 21, but we are, without a doubt, no longer in our 20s.  We get it, POINT TAKEN!

We enjoyed our time together. We cried a little in laughter and a little in strength.  It is these girls who have seen my heart break over and over and helped me deal with some of the toughest decisions I have ever made, that each of us have ever made.  I'm proud of these women I call my friends. To the girls of PFLAG, may you know how much of a chunk of my heart you have and I blame every bit of my bad ideas - turned into amazing stories from college, on you.  The University of Texas at Austin brought us together, but it was laughter that keeps us strong!  xoxo

2 comments: