Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Powering Through

This past weekend I went on a jaunt with some girlfriends of mine to Port Aransas, Texas to take part in the annual Beach to Bay Relay Marathon.  There are 6 people on a team and each "leg" ranges from 4 miles to 4.8 miles.  I am not a runner by nature. I am not a runner by heart. I am not a runner by my wildest dreams. I am however always up for a good time, which is what this weekend always entails.  Unfortunately, I accidentally missed my pick up ride after I passed off the baton to my teammate and after run/walking for 4 miles to get to her, I started another trek, I finished the race, with a slow and steady pace.  A near 9 miles was under my feet by the time it was said and done and I got to think about a lot of things during that time.  I did not solve the problems of the world, I did not conquer a fear, but I did realize when the choice is to trace your steps to see where you may have missed something, it is better to just keep walking forward.  

Two weeks ago I went on a third date with the fellow from Georgia. By all signs they pointed towards a good date.  Unfortunately I haven't heard from him again, except for a weak response to an email I sent him a few days after our date. I try to be breezey, but 'tis true, when you try to be breezy, you sound calculated.  Well I took the plunge and like I kept walking on Saturday because there was no other choice, I closed him on eharmony before he closed me.  Then I had a realization this morning, as I keep trying to figure out, what happened and why didn't he just say something?  Well, right before I closed him on the site, I took one last look at his profile and there it was in black and white, he wanted "someone who challenged" him.  When I first read that, being the non-genious that I am, I thought that meant intellectually.  That scared the shit out of me, I'm not that smart.  Tis true, I never broke a 1000 on my SAT and I took it twice, I had to work hard in my degree of American Studies and let's not be afraid to mention I had a tudor when I was 4 to learn the alphabet. FOUR....A TUDOR....and I still sometimes have to sing it in my head when I'm alphabetizing!  But it didn't occur to me until this morning actually that what he was saying is he wanted the chase.  Well here's the skinny Georgia, I'm not on eharmony so that I can play hard to get. Clearly.  So I wish you well in your chasing endeavors.

We had good fun on the ride home reading the profiles of potential suitors on the site I had recently been matched up with.  Out of all of them, the one who has reached out to me is Mr. Self Employed. The second multiple choice question he asked me was how trustworthy am I? and the multiple choice questions are:
A) sometimes I'm too naive
B) I trust people and am able to forgive them when wronged
C) I trust people until they prove me wrong, then it is hard to trust again
D) people are dishonest by nature, you need to be careful 

Kind of an odd question, don't you think? Not odd if he is a liar.  I chose choice C.  But I regret that choice, I think I should have stuck with D. 

I had choices range from Mr. Self Employed to Mr. Star Wars junkie and One guy's profile pic was him wrestling a dog bone from his dog's mouth...with his own mouth.  It just keeps getting better and better....I'll keep powering through this, you stay tuned!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment