Friday, May 28, 2010

MemorYal Weekend

This weekend is called Memorial Weekend to honor the troops that live and die to serve our country and protect our freedoms. Let's have a moment of silence.

Now, I call it MemorYal Weekend.  Why? You may ask.  Because, I will tell you, this weekend brings up a thrash of memories for me from just a few years back.  It was just 2 years ago, in the May of 2008 when I was taking my first plunge with ol' faithful, Eharmony.com.  Yes, two years this official love affair began, it was three years ago I started answering the questions to get on this site. If anyone ever asks, Yes, I am a procrastinator and I am proud of that fact.  

Now back to two years ago.  I was single, SHOCKING, and instead of spending this party, alcohol filled, random hook-up induced weekend at some crazy beach town, I spent it with my parents and their dogs and mine at their home.  Minus the random hook-ups, this weekend did not disappoint, it was a party and it was most certainly alcohol filled!  I spent the majority of that weekend checking my tMobile Dash so I could eharm-email with this fellow I was interested in.  His name was John.  I remember telling my mother, "Mom, there is something different about this guy. I just have a feeling about him." Eh-hem.  There was something different about him. First and foremost we ended up haveing the most serious relationship I had been in since the days text messages were obsolete.  We had a good run.  Three months later I remember saying, again to my mother, "Mom, I just have a feeling about this." "This" I was referencing was the impending doom of our relationship.  The lesson I learned from this breakup was to always trust my gut.  The lesson I learned from this relationship, is to refrain from emailing someone over a holiday weekend while at home with your parents on the side of their pool with a bourbon in hand at 3 in the afternoon while the guy is in his house not doing anything talking to no one sitting on his couch and drinking a beer at 3 in the afternoon....alone.

Here I am 2 years later and this time the folks are coming to me.  I own my house and they are going to stay with me. I am still on eharmony and I'm sure I will send an email or two.  I do not regret the things I have done nor the things I intend to do. I do however, take heart that this MemorYal weekend will still be filled with my loving family, good laughter and of course...bourbon!

I intend to no longer be on eharmony.com in 2012. Am I saying I will have found my match by then? Not necessarily, but I am saying, sometimes you just have to cut your losses and since that will be 5 years in the making - I just can't see myself in love with this relationship anymore.  I'm sure there will be some sort of dating app for the ipad and I will probably have my sister's hand-me-down by that point, so I will have graduated from the likes of eharmony and move onto whatever next generation of only the lonely.com there will be for me!

Have a wonderful MemorYal Weekend, filled with memories, laughter, some appreciation for our troops, a little bourbon along with a good toast and perhaps some non-essential text messages and emails with someone who makes you smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment