Thursday, October 21, 2010

Loose for Lose

Lately I keep seeing people misuse the word "loose" for "lose" when making status updates on Facebook.  Now, I'm no word snob, shoot, it takes nearly an hour to post something because I spend so much time on word, editing its content.  However, it still drives me crazy because to lose a game is not the same as to loosen a belt buckle.  But it has got me thinking.  To lose your shirt will in turn, make you loose.  To lose your pants, well, clearly, you are "loosey goosey".  So it is funny to me these words that get exchanged for one another in the wrong context can actually be used to narrate a story better when used together.

This isn't a grammar lesson of the day, it is actually a lead into my story with, as my sister calls him, 39. Or as you all know him, "vodka goggle date". Our exchange has continued, daily texting with a flirt or two for effect or an email or 6 throughout the day if the texting is too tedious for yours truly.  This is a guy who listens so intently to all I say, proof being every time he tries to tell me one more thing I said on the first night we met and I have to tell him to hush and not dwell on the past... because, apparently, my mouth after vodka is a sea of stupidity.  Why this guy wanted to go out with me again is still utterly lost on me. I can guaranty you it isn't because I was "loose". Anyway, we have since had a second rendezvous.

I was a little timid to put out there I would like to see him again, as the vibes he was putting out there was that he enjoyed my texts and emails but I wasn't getting that he was much interested in seeing me in person, since he hadn't yet asked me out again.  So I can't beat around the bush, I'm a girl who needs answers or my brain gets flooded with incoherent scenarios. So put it out there I did (not put out, just to clarify another use of the word exchange) and he accepted. I'd say that this past Saturday night I had one of the most fun dates I have ever had.  Ol' 39 came over with two bottles of wine and we sat on my couch until 3 in the morning just talking. Literally, keep your minds out of the gutters, just talking.  See, I kept the conversation loose, not my body, and I think that actually kept me from not losing out on a 3rd date.  It only took me 31 years to realize my conversation skills actually can keep someone interested. Or the fact that I have the most comfortable couch ever and nobody wants to leave it.

So here we are planning date number 3 and this is all new territory.  I'll keep you posted as my stupidity sea mouth is now closed for business since Vodka has left the building; however, this isn't to say that I can't finagle amazing moments of sober stupidity as well.  As always...stay tuned.  PS: He mentioned to me on our super fun date that I should have a site up for some of my stories...at what point do I tell him? hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment