Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Some things never change

Last night I invited two ladies who I have done business with for the past 3.5 years for drinks for the holiday.  Now I met these women when I started my job and consider them my mentors.  I have thoroughly enjoyed learning more about them and they becoming more than business acquaintances and more than my mentors, they are my friends.  I respect their opinions and have sought their advice on career choices and networking.  Last night I had every intention of thanking them again for all they have done and then turning the conversation back to me and what advise they may have for me in some issues I am having at my job right now (no, not the guy, literally, the job).  However, the conversation turned quicker into a gab and gossip fest than I could have imagined and it was amazing!  These two women both in their 40s, both single, both who travel the world on a weekly basis, and both whom I have more in common with than I ever imagined.  It is really great to know that no matter how professional you are in the work field, that we women are nothing more than girls on the inside ready to gossip!

One woman we will call, Sahar, who I have admired for so long told a story about her first date and used the phrase "all he wanted was a kiss and to make sweet love".  The other woman and I nearly died!  Tears fell from my face from laughter as I looked on at this Turkish woman who did not realize the implications this phrase would have.  The other woman, Diba, was hilarious.  We started swapping dating stories, hers way more exciting than mine and when I told her about the thief?? Her jaw dropped to the floor and she said to me "you need help"!  She's right, I do.  She offered to set me up with someone in Afghanistan, this would be better than what I have now?  Well...yes.  We laughed until we cried, it was an evening that took a twist that I could have never imagined!  It was amazing.  Some things just never change between women, wine and gossip.  When I informed them I had just had my third laproscopy, Diba told me with Sahar in agreement "you need to have more sex".  WHAT?  How could this be coming out of their mouths?  How will that change anything with my issues? But then I realized, maybe they are right. Look at their lives.  They are successful, travel the world, have plenty of self earned money, have men all over the globe and a back up plan as well.  Maybe that is the answer, keeping myself sheltered has gotten me thieves and morons...Let's see what comes of this advise.  I will probably consider it but never find myself able to actually go through with it.  However, maybe it has given me the courage to be more adventurous.  Maybe trying a new restaurant isn't enough, maybe finally cashing in those miles I have worked so hard to build and trying a new restaurant in Ireland will do it.  

This is the time of year where New Year's Resolutions are coming, time to make changes, make admissions to yourself, forget the past and move on to the present...What will your resolutions be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment